Sunday, October 05, 2008

simple gifts

I've been knitting a lot lately, and it feels so nice to have some finished objects to share. I'll keep it to the two that are gifts, and going out in the mail today.


First, there are the legwarmers for a wonderful kid who just turned four, and who needs something stripey and soft and funky to add to her wardrobe. Her mom often lets her choose her own outfits, and her style leans toward eclectic and layered, so I have confidence that these legwarmers will fit right in.

Shoshanna's legwarmers

Shoshanna's legwarmers


These things are super simple -- cast on, work 2x2 ribbing for a bit, and then bind off. They yarn is my own handspun, from a BMFA Sheep 2 Shoe kit in the lapis colorway. It's a worsted weight yarn, and a superwash merino, so it should be soft on her legs, and easily washable. I spun and plied it fairly tightly, so I think the legwarmers should wear well. And I think I managed to cast on the right number of stitches so that they won't slouch too much now, but enough that they will grow as she does. I can actually stretch these over my legs, though of course they're pretty short on me.

I'm hoping there will be some modeled shot to link to soon, when super four year old receives her somewhat late birthday gift.


My other finished project is actually a commissioned project, as a gift for a friend of my mom.

Shetland Triangle


This is the Shetland Triangle, designed by Evelyn Clark, from Wrap Style. I've been eyeing this pattern for a long time, and finally bought the book during the last Interweave Press hurt book sale. It's the only pattern in the book I knew I wanted to make, and the book was discounted to less than the price I'd pay for a copy of just one pattern, so I figured it was definitely a good time to buy!

I used Reynolds Whiskey for this pattern. It seemed like a good match for the pattern, not only because I happened to have some, but because like the pattern it's a yarn I've been wanting to work with for a while. It's a fluffy and light sportweight yarn that comes in deeply heathered colors. I really liked working with it, and am probably going to use what I have leftover for a big EZ Pi Shawl, at some point.

What I really love about the Shetland Triangle is the background. For me, this lace pattern isn't about the holes, but about what the increases and decreases do to the flow of the stockinette background. I think I captured that pretty well in the above photo. I just adore how the stitches gently curve in and out. I think I'm eventually going to have to make one of these for me. If you want a couple more photos, you can find them here and here. The second photo shows the entirety of the shawl -- not a great photo (it's hard to artfully capture such a large thing in one shot), but I'd feel bad about not having a shot that isn't a closeup.



That's about it for now. But I have been doing a lot of fleece washing, and have a lot to talk about at some point. I've learned a ton, and can't wait to share my learning process with you guys. I've also been doing some spinning, including some new to me fibers. I have a gorgeous skein of loosely spun thick Wensleydale singles, and just started on some bombyx silk top this morning. yum. Great things to come!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn on those legwarmers is gorgeous!

10/05/2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

I've been wanting to do the ST pattern, but yeah, I think that is the *only* pattern that I would knit from that book. sigh. Yours is so gorgeous though!

10/06/2008 5:33 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I love the legwarmers, great colours. Look forward to hearing what you have learnt.

10/06/2008 8:55 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I've recently used Whiskey for some projects, and I'm amazed at its versatility. Great yarn choice for a shawl!

I bought my first fleece last spring and finally got around to washing it! Can't wait to see your thoughts (and hopefully tips!) on the whole scouring process.

10/06/2008 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your projects. Have purchased your sock pattern pictured and will knit up this winter. You do great work!
~Anne

10/06/2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger Cynthia A. said...

Your handspun is lovely, and she is a very lucky girl! The shawl is very pretty too, I was wondering about that book.

Can't wait to hear all about the fleece processing!

10/07/2008 12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those handspun legwarmers look great...what a lucky girl! Your handspun absolutely amazes me.

I really like the way the Whiskey looks in lace.

10/08/2008 7:04 AM  
Blogger Tvini said...

May I ask how many stitches you cast on? I also have to knit a pair of legwarmers for a 4-year-old girl.

10/10/2008 7:57 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I love the colors of your legwarmers and the shawl is beautiful!

10/12/2008 7:49 PM  
Blogger MRS MJW said...

Your lace is Fabulous!!! Love the color.

10/23/2008 2:12 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love the texture of this piece

10/29/2008 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home