Friday, February 08, 2008

blooming

Orchid Lace Mitts


Orchid Lace Mitts (the short version), designed by Anne Hanson (Ravelry link). I knit them using my handspun BFL.

Orchid Lace Mitts modeled


It's a fun and well written pattern, and I have to say that it was really a pleasure to just sit down and follow a pattern word for word, and not even have the urge to think about changing a thing.

Orchid Lace Mitts detail


I was pleasantly surprised by the striping in the yarn. I made no effort while spinning or plying it to get the colors to do anything in particular. I think this is kind of like the new knitter who doesn't knit a gauge swatch, but ends up with a perfectly fitting sweater anyway. It won't necessarily happen again, but I'll take what I can get!

I made the mitts for the friend who sent me the roving, when I was a wee baby spinner. It's been hard not to blog about them, and even harder to not tell her about them, but she just got the package, so I'm finally in the clear.


And speaking of receiving special packages, look at what I made this morning:

And it begins.


The only word for it is glee. Even though I'm mostly going by trial and error right now (I have a lifetime to learn the technical ins and outs of the machine), wheel spinning feels incredibly natural, and is just about all I've wanted to do since I sat down in front of it for the first time last night.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Aren't Anne's patterns fabulous? And, you are a natural spinner...beautiful work.

2/08/2008 2:31 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Spinning straw into gold, are we? :-)

2/08/2008 4:26 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

Your yarn is gorgeous.

2/08/2008 5:17 PM  
Blogger whitney said...

The mitts look gorgeous, as does the yarn you made them with! Beautiful.

How exciting, you have your wheel!

2/08/2008 9:37 PM  
Blogger junie said...

Love those mitts. Heavenly! Congrats on the wheel. I would love to learn to spin. First I have to figure a way to live to be 150. (vbg)

2/10/2008 1:47 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

They are so pretty, it looks like the perfect yarn!

2/10/2008 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some gorgeous yarn! It's amazing you spun so much for just getting the wheel! And you spin so well, like you've had the wheel for a long time. And the mitts look beautiful , love Anne's patterns too. Keep showing your spinning progress! Terry

2/10/2008 8:53 AM  
Blogger Stell said...

wow, they are amazing mitts, and look at those singles! I'm a new spinner to and so I know how much work goes into learning, well done.

2/10/2008 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniffle! I'm so happy for you and your new wheel. :-)

2/11/2008 12:16 PM  
Blogger AnneB said...

You are some busy spinner and the work is gorgeous. Lucky friend to receive those mitts.

2/12/2008 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful mitts and gorgeous yarn! I hope your friend loves them!!

2/13/2008 2:45 PM  
Blogger Happily Knit said...

Those mitts are so beautiful, you have a jealous onlooker here! I love the color of the spun too, I've been really into golds & oranges lately...

2/14/2008 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home