Sunday, September 30, 2007

lessons

This is my lesson:

Cobblestone closeup


I... enjoy knitting large amounts of stockinette and garter stitch.

Or perhaps the lesson really lies in the dozens of hours I've spent spinning, as I'm convinced that that was what taught me true appreciation for simple, calming, repetitive tasks.

I've started knitting Cobblestone (Fall '07 IK, designed by Jared Flood) for Alex. I showed him a couple of options to start out with, with Elizabeth Zimmermann's Saddle Shoulder Aran Cardigan as choice number 1 from my perspective. He chose Cobblestone, he chose charcoal grey, and I started knitting. I'm much farther than that photo shows -- two 100 g. skeins (of Harrisville Highland) in, with over a foot of the body done. I knew that love would make knitting a "boring" sweater tolerable and even enjoyable, but it turns out that love is just the icing on the cake.

Have I discovered the yoga of knitting? Is it time to write a book? Or I could stop being all faux-new-agey about it, and just enjoy.

Besides embracing my inner stockinette, I've been finishing the project I've been working on for The Anticraft. I pains me so much to not be able to share anything about it yet. Well, except for this teaser photo, which is so much of a teaser that it may not even be worth it. But here goes, anyway:

Anticraft project teaser


This is such a fun project that I may need to write out the blog post about it now, even if I have to wait weeks to post it. Just to get it out of my system. Of course, I'd be better off writing up the pattern (and taking photos), so I don't find Zabet on my doorstep with a baseball bat in a couple of weeks, to teach me a lesson about tardiness.

(Okay, for real, what I have planned for this afternoon is laundry, spinning, and The Good Housekeeping Marriage Book. Shhhhh! I promise I'll get to that pattern writing tomorrow...)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Mmm, stockinette. I enjoy it too--except when there's shaping to be done. That's my problem: I love totally unchanging swathes of stockinette, but I won't wear shapeless sweaters. So I find I'd rather just knit something complicated and deal with the shaping than knit something plain and have to stop every few rows and think, "wait, do I need to decrease here? I better check!" Frustrating! But, that's what socks are for, eh?

9/30/2007 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love stockinette and garter stitch as well. It's wonerfully relaxing.

9/30/2007 6:12 PM  
Blogger Stell said...

there is a zen to knitting, if its wool you like and its going well and you mind has things its happy to wander over, I think all knitters need that kind of project, so not every project is a challenge.

9/30/2007 9:11 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I'm really looking forward to knitting Cobblestone. It's the first sweater my husband has been interested in.

9/30/2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Ack, such a tease with the Anti-Craft shot! Enjoy the marriage book -- I've heard hilarious and disturbing things. :)

10/02/2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

Can't wait to see the finished Cobblestone.

10/03/2007 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice photography. You are a great photograper or have the best camera in the world.

Very impressive Cobblestone. I like it. It has class.

10/04/2007 1:59 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

I love mindless stockinette knitting. It makes me happy and peaceful. :)

And I must do Cobblestone. Love that sweater.

10/08/2007 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Good Housekeeping Marriage Book, eh? Published in 1938? I bet that has some gems. Are you reading it or listening it to it? I must admit I'm intrigued by it.

Glad you're enjoying the stockinette! I think part of the reason to love it is that it makes a great palette cleanser between fancy projects. Also the yoga thing.

10/08/2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I've got a stockinet project too. I love it.

10/11/2007 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home