Wednesday, May 16, 2007

done deal

There's no question about it -- spinning is for me.

My first handspun singles


My first attempt is balled up on the left. That was when I forgot anything I'd learned about any technique, and before I realized that I wasn't pre-drafting nearly enough. Then things clicked in, and I started getting relatively even, thin singles.

I'm only going to allow myself to finish that first ounce of fiber I bought with the spindle, and then it's back to sleeve knitting for me. I can't get off track with this sweater, because it really needs to be finished within a month and a half or so. I'm going away for much of July, and don't want to have to worry about whether it will be done for the fair while I'm on vacation. (Vacation is for plane-friendly knitting in one color, not monster sweater with 18 balls of yarn.)

More yarn? Okay:

My first handspun singles - closeup


As you can see, it's fairly hairy stuff. I really wish I'd written down the breed it's from. I do have the store's business card, so maybe I'll give them a call. I should also find out of they sell nostepinnes, because I'm really regretting not buying one at the festival. I wonder if my Romney will spin up softer than this. I guess time and finishing will tell. I can't wait to see what my yarn looks like after it's plied and set and washed. I'm sure that first ounce of mystery NZ wool will yield too little yarn to do much with at all, but I'll be happy to keep it as a skein, or just knit up a little square to have to show for my efforts.

What an adventure this is! Though I will contend that it should be called a "drop-and-roll-as-far-as-possible-under-the-couch spindle."

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read more about your adventures in spinning. I started last fall after knitting for over 10 years, and I am really hooked on spinning, too. I ended up buying an Ashford Traveler Wheel that I adore. Good luck to you; I know you will be great at it.

5/16/2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Becki said...

Could you put in an object next time to show how thin it is? A penny or something? You know how I drool over tiny yarn...

5/16/2007 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your singles are very impressive! They look so thin and even. Congratulations! It's a real accomplishment and you are absolutely right to be proud of it. :-)

BTW, stick with the hairy stuff for a while--it's more forgiving. The very smooth, soft stuff shows every lump and bump. ;-)

5/16/2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great looking yarn! It looks like you are hooked now.

5/16/2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

I've just started on a drop spindle and aspire to such thin consistency. I'm allowing myself to spin bulky, slubby, inconsistent yarn until the end of the month. Then I'll take control :-)

5/16/2007 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn! It's exciting learning new things, especially spinning.

I knit my first yarn into a rectangular thing, stuck a wooden knitting needle each into the top and bottom for weight, and hung it on the wall. I've been adding a few inches of each yarn I spin as I complete them to the rectangle as a sort of record of my progress.

5/16/2007 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware… spinning can become addictive, especially on a spindle. :)

5/16/2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger benazeer said...

Wow, that's gorgeous. You've totally put my first several skeins to shame there :)

5/16/2007 7:07 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I was curious which fair you are entering. I live in NH and would love to see your sweater at the fair.

5/17/2007 7:32 AM  
Blogger Angelika said...

I gave spinning a try once, but I guess I'll leave that up to the pros. I'm just going to use up all the yarn others spin. Good luck with it.

5/17/2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger Katura said...

I tagged you in my blog! I think this is a fun way to learn about other bloggers. Enjoy.

5/18/2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger Melissa Van Oort said...

That's so very neat, I'm hesitant on jumping into this craft as well, I'm sure what little knitting I already do will get left behind. How even you've spun it! If you get a nostepinne, I'd like to know what you think of it and any technique tricks you find helpful.

5/20/2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I know absolutely nothing about spinning, but yours looks impressive!!

5/21/2007 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive spinning!
My first attempts left me with very large tufts of broken, lumpy roving, but I'm tenacious, so I'm sure I'll try again.

The Autumn color cardigan is absolutely stunning.
I'm gobsmacked.

5/23/2007 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job! I've got a few braids of yarn and a drop spindle that I keep meaning to learn how to spin with, but somehow I keep forgetting and/or don't have the patience when I actually have the time. Some day, though. Some day. :D

Are you going to ply that yarn with anything, or just leave it as singles?

5/28/2007 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really impressed that you are adding spinning to your list of fiber arts.

Lovely job.

Your Autumn Fair Isle is just spectacular. It will be gorgeous on. Kudos

6/01/2007 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home