Monday, March 12, 2007

crab legs

Crustacean socks modeled


Crustacean Socks (using a stitch pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks) in Dale Baby Ull, knit on size 1 needles. I'm still completely enraptured by these socks, and by the stitch pattern. It's easier than it may look (I had it memorized before I finished the first pattern repeat), stretchy, and full of interesting texture. It's based on 5x3 ribbing, though as you can see, I opted to do a 2x1x2x3 ribbing at the top. I really like how that flows into the stitch pattern, and think it's probably clingier than 5x3 ribbing would be.

Speaking of crustaceans and crabs, you should listen to the latest episode of Quirks and Quarks (a wonderful CBC science show, also available as a podcast). There is a segment about how early humans got crabs from gorillas. Okay, different kind of crabs (I don't think lice are actually crustaceans), and Australopithecus, not Homo, and certainly not Homo Sapiens. But still, it's a pretty cool story that I happened to hear as I was knitting the socks. I couldn't help but share the crabs humor. Be a science geek with me! (It really is an interesting story, and not as gross as it sounds.)

In non-parasitic news, I just placed my order for yarn for the Autumn Color Cardigan. This involved placing a phone call to Scotland. If it weren't so expensive (and so confusing to figure out how to dial internationally), I'd want to randomly call people in the UK every day. Oh the accents! It also felt pretty special to be ordering Shetland yarn from someone on the island of Shetland. If I can't buy it locally, buying it from its actual local source, from someone with an accent like butter, is a good consolation. I can't wait to get started on this sweater. Let's see if I can hold out until April...

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Elinor said...

Oh, those socks look great! How does Baby Ull work as sock yarn? I've contemplated using it but I've always wanted to see how it works. Does it pill or get fuzzy?

3/12/2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger Moiface said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3/12/2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger Moiface said...

These look great! Oh and on the topic of accents; I had a friend who worked in the UK for a stint and for something to do she and I would call her old job every now and then just to hear her coworkers answer the phone with their accents. We didn't really have anything to say of importance so we would usually ask them their hours of operation or confuse them with the unplanned silliness that came out of our mouths and hang up.

We lived in a small town... this was the height of our amusement for a while.

Cheers,

-Moiface

3/12/2007 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great looking socks! I'm going to have to pick up that book one of these days. I can totally understand the desire to chat with random Scottish folks...those accents are so, so lovely to my ear!

3/12/2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger Mathgirl said...

The socks are absolutely gorgeous and the perfect colour to match the name.

3/12/2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Wow, buying straight from the source... you're my new hero! Love the crustaceany socks, too!

3/12/2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger Kris B said...

Oh, very pretty socks. I hope baby dale wears better for you. I used some for the toes and heels in some socks for my son, and the heels have holes in them now. I didn't reinforce them or anything though, and he has been known to wear just his socks anywhere including outside, uhg. He is probably a bit rougher on socks then most.

3/12/2007 9:12 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Those really do have some great texture. I like you you altered the ribbing to lead into the pattern.

3/12/2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger Stickchicky said...

What a great pair of socks! The red is fantastic. Very "crabby"

3/13/2007 12:00 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Beautiful socks! And I can totally relate to your love of accents. I used to work as a receptionist for an English company with sales reps all over the UK, and I loved it when a particular Scotsman used to call with his signature catchphrase: "This is Ronnie Ross from the Glenrothes office!" Made me giggle every time.

3/13/2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Very nice socks! I don't even remember seeing that pattern in Sensational Socks .. I will have to check it out!

Do post a picture of your Autumn Colors sweater when you can. It sounds very enticing, especially since you ordered it from Scotland.

3/13/2007 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clicking around your blog totally inspires me to knit more socks:)

3/14/2007 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pattern! Sensational Knitted Socks seems to have great designs -- I may have to pick it up.

Thanks for the zoological fun facts, too! :)

3/14/2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Great socks!
They looks like they fit so well!
Something to aspire to.

3/27/2007 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home