Tuesday, February 13, 2007

20 years too late

Crazy Stripes socks

Crazy Stripes socks


Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock
Crazy Stripes colorway
chevron pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks, by Charlene Schurch

Thanks for all of the comments on the sock preview last week. I wasn't that unhappy with it, and in fact decided to work on this project because it was the most appealing thing to me in the middle of my knitting blahs. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the yarn, and despite the colors not being exactly me, I love working with Lorna's Laces sock yarn.

In the end, I'm actually quite happy with the socks. I do think the chevron pattern was just the right thing to make the striping interesting to look at and to knit. I'd never wear this as a sweater, but they're just dandy as footwear. I'd have adored these colors in 1987, when bright, hot colors were all the rage, and I was a 10 year old little girl who couldn't get enough of hot pink and electric blue. 20 years too late, but I'll be happily wearing them on my feet today.

... But I still feel the need to counteract the acid colors of the socks. I baked this challah this past weekend:

challah - baked on Feb. 11, 2007


And see - it's hand-made and braided! That counts as on-topic in a knitting blog, in my book. Unfortunately, its appearance is its strong point. It was a little burned on the bottom, not sweet enough, and goes stale extremely quickly. But the texture was perfect, so I think next time I'm going to add a bunch of honey and take it out of the oven 5 minutes sooner. Then it should be nice and sweet, moist, and unburnt. Too bad I can't frog bread...

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Your 20 YEARS LATE socks turned out nice. I like the Chevron pattern!

We have a potluck at church once a month on the Sunday we have Communion and one of the ladies brought two Challah loaves that were delicious! She used lots of honey in hers and sprinkled poppy seeds on top. Between tasting hers and seeing yours I think it is time I try to make a loaf :-)

2/13/2007 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The challah looks nice, but maybe next time you could do something a little more advanced -- maybe some basic lace or a nice brioche stitch? Now THAT would be on-topic for the blog.

I'm glad you wound up liking the LL socks. On a day like today, I'd wear hand-knit socks of ANY color and combination.

2/13/2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

The Challah looks gorgeous! And yes, what with the braiding and all, it definately qualifies as fodder for a knitting blog! ;)

Nice socks too!

2/13/2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, you can't frog bread but you can cut off the burned bottom and make delicious French Toast with challah. That's almost like frogging.

The socks look bright and lively - just the thing for the middle of winter.

2/13/2007 9:21 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

The bread looks good. Just cut the burnt bottom off and eat up! I love the color of the socks. I have a shawl about the same colorway.

2/13/2007 10:36 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

I do like the chevrons! That was a good call. It makes the striping yarn behave. ;-)

Would you say is is a stretchy pattern, or no?...

2/14/2007 11:25 AM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

can you slice it up and use it for french toast?

ps. i have some lorna's that stripes like that too ... you made a very good point, i think mine would look better in some kind of chevron pattern too!

2/14/2007 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that bread.

2/15/2007 7:12 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Challah makes the best French toast, though, even when stale. And you could cut off the burnt part.

2/15/2007 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LUVE your challah-the glossy looking crunchiness inspires me to go through with the egg washing bit with my own! And your socks are AWESOME, hot pinkness and all!

2/16/2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

Hey, those look just like your socks!

Oh, wait...

;)

2/22/2007 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home