Friday, January 19, 2007

this and that

This is very exciting:

IK postcard


Well, exciting to me, anyway. It doesn't mean they like my pattern, or have even reviewed it yet. But they received it, and sent me a fancy-schmancy postcard to tell me so, and this makes me all bubbly and hopeful. I just hope they don't take too long to decide whether they want to use my sock pattern in the magazine. If they're going to reject it, I'd prefer it be sooner rather than later, so I can move on and decide where the pattern gets sent next. I'll try to be patient, but it's so difficult to not obsess over what's happening with my beautiful swatch at this very moment, out there in Colorado. (Okay, at this very moment I'm fairly certain it's sitting around somewhere being completely ignored, as the good people in the mountain time zone are certainly still asleep.)

That was not meant to be:

Sherwood is dead


It was the beginnings of Sherwood, in the yarn (Merino et Soie) I used for Bristow. Three days of knitting (I'm not a very fast knitter, just a determined one), and I realized that the yarn just wasn't right for the pattern. The twists look sloppy and ill-defined, and there's no point in knitting a whole (toddler) sweater that I'm not going to be satisfied with. Alex's mom recently gave me her copy of Scarf Style, and I might use the yarn to knit the Backyard Leaves scarf. I've been enamored by that pattern for a while, could use a new scarf, and it looks like it will be a very interesting knit. Plus, I don't think I've ever knit an Annie Modesitt pattern, and it's high time I did. I don't like everything she designs, but I really respect and appreciate her creativity and willingness to try out unique ideas and constructions.


Today, the really exciting knitting definitely doesn't live at this blog. How about an Sweaters From Camp knitalong update. Look at the great stuff other people have been up to, while I frog baby sweaters and knit unexciting socks:
  • Becki is on her third attempt at Snow Sky, this time incorporating waist shaping. I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I'm impressed with her perseverance, as well as her knitting speed.

  • In the time since my last update, Shirley has finished two sweaters. (Way to make me feel like a slacker!) Check out her gorgeous Nebraska Sunset and Prince of Wales.


Me? I'm still on the ribbed grey sock. And next will be knitting some plain, brown mittens for Alex. My knitting is definitely mimicking my dreary, pseudo-winter surroundings. (But we have a dusting of snow outside today. That's a slight improvement! Only another foot to go before it really feels like a proper winter.) But baking delicious bread kept me happy (and knitting) last weekend, so I may try it again this weekend. My knitting may not be growing, but at least I can count on the yeast to do their job, and help fulfill my need to create.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Oh I hope they pick your pattern!! How exciting!!

1/19/2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're inspiring me - I should defintely go make some bread!

1/19/2007 10:47 AM  
Blogger Kris B said...

Good Luck, I hope they use your pattern.

I bet your a faster knitter then I, :).

1/19/2007 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I think my first reply to you:) Wishing your publication in IK! Seeing what you knit here, I can't imagine it not being accepted! I'll keep my fingers crossed! Terry

1/20/2007 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I think my first reply to you:) Wishing your publication in IK! Seeing what you knit here, I can't imagine it not being accepted! I'll keep my fingers crossed! Terry

1/20/2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger Dana Marie said...

How exciting! They could pick your pattern. Fun fun fun.

http://mercysmama.wordpress.com

1/20/2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Fingers crossed for your pattern!

1/21/2007 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the next time you hear from Interweave Knits it's with wonderful news! Fingers crossed for you.

1/27/2007 2:05 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Adding my wishes that they pick your pattern! I also submitted something to their fall issue. I know what you mean about waiting. It's hard isn't it? Good luck! :)

1/28/2007 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home