Tuesday, October 31, 2006

mittens of change

(Side note: Thanks for all the comments with concern about my foot. And thanks to those of you who shared your own stories of injury, one of which is definitely grosser than mine. Read the comments on the last post, and you'll see which one. eew! My foot is 100% fine, with no redness or lines or pus. Believe me, I'd have seen a doctor if there was any sign of a problem.)

--------------------------


Komi mitten 1 - October 31it fits!


The first mitten is so close to being done. I just need to finish up the fiddly top, and add a thumb. I'm very happy with the size - big enough to be a proper mitten (mittens should have some wiggle room), but not as huge as the Nordic Mittens I knit last year. I think my row gauge is a bit tight, which is fine, as I have small hands. Last I checked, though, my stitch gauge was spot-on.

By the time I finish the mittens, I may be photographing them on a different background than that familiar living room carpet. We've decided to move, and managed to find a great apartment on our first day of trying, with the first number we called. We're signing a lease this week, and moving mid-month. We're staying in Keene, though, so it won't be a huge change. Just a pretty big one. But if I disappear for a little while, I haven't abandoned the blog. It just means "fun" with transferring DSL to our new address, and/or me not having time for knitting while packing and unpacking boxes.

Of course, this means no more iron donkey, and no more cherries. And most painful of all, no more wood stove. But in addition to all the non-knitting-related benefits of moving, I'll also get a chance to explore new photography options in our new place. (I feel like I've exhausted the current house in terms of that.) And the new apartment seems like it will be nice and bright, which is good both for knitting and taking pictures of knitting. I also look forward to skating on a nearby pond in the winter, wearing lots of hand-knitted garments. One of the great side-effects of this whole blogging thing is that I now have all these photos of our soon-to-be-old house, which I'm sure I wouldn't have had if I hadn't been blogging. Yeah, there are knitted things in the foreground of those photos. But it's nice to have that record of this year and a half of our lives in this house, even if it is full of wool. Too much wool in your photos can't be a bad thing, can it?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I missed your post about your poor foot's encounter with that pointy needle! It made me shiver and cringe, just reading it now. Glad to hear your foot is doing ok.

Those are some lovely looking mitten-insides, too. Good luck with the move!

10/31/2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

One big advantage of moving will be exploring and reorganizing your stash. Who knows what treasures you will discover!

Love inside out photos of colorwork!

10/31/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Most importantly, does the new apartment have enough space for all the stash!

Beautiful knitting! You could almost use it inside out.

10/31/2006 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The inside of your mitten is almost as beautiful as the outside. Good luck with you move!

10/31/2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Kit said...

I love that mitten, it looks like it will be super cozy and warm. Have a safe move!

10/31/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger E to the M said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

10/31/2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Gorgeous mitten! It looks like it will be a perfect fit!

11/01/2006 7:47 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

At least you'll have warm hands while skating!

11/01/2006 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The presence of wool can only improve any photograph, I say.

Congrats on the big move!

11/06/2006 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home