Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the problem was too few colors

Hiawatha continues to be a pest. Now it's the issue of the connection between the edging and the edge of the shawl being inelastic. I tried a few different things last night, with no luck, but think I finally have a workable solution from someone on the LiveJournal Advanced Knit community. (Solution: Go back and pick up all the stitches at once, instead of one at a time. This will possibly help with elasticity, since the picked up stitches will all be connected to one another, and act more like the short edge live stitches I worked with previously. Also, connect really loosely, like when I bind off.)

Even though I now have a solution (though I thought I had several solutions last night that turned out to just be headaches), I can't stand to look at the thing anymore. It can go stick itself where the sun doesn't shine. I need color.

Vertical Stripes Sweater


I just finished the fourth pattern repeat on the sleeve, which now measures about 10". I think I'm going to do 2 more pattern repeats (5") before I start to fret about length and stopping points. (For those of you who haven't been taking notes and studying my every word in preparation for the scary final exam, there is a good chance I'll run out of the background color, and will be putting the sleeve on scrap yarn before the cuffs so I can work both cuffs and the collar in the different dye lot, assuming I need to buy another ball.)



I have the power to bend Addi Turbos


I swear I'm not a tight knitter. I just have a death grip on the needles, I guess. (Which surprises me, because you'd think I'd have problems with hand cramping, which I get from writing. But I don't.) The bent needle (on the left) is an Addi Turbo, size 1. It was the one held in my right hand for the entirety of the sweater body. So far, none of the other needles are bent. (A good thing, because one of the sets of circs is on loan.) I wonder if the company will replace them. I also wonder if it's worth it. It could be that there is a problem with the needle, and that most size 1 Addis wouldn't bend with use. On the other hand, if the needle is fine and it was all my fault, I'd just end up bending the replacement.

9 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I just bend my addis back

my 0's (for socks, kept in my bag) are always getting a bit bent. I realise this will eventually get worse to a stage where I have to get new ones, but for now bending back once every few months seems to be ok.

That said, if I wanted a even gage for fair isle I'd probably use different needles

9/06/2006 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I understand it, the most elastic method for joining the edging would be Russian grafting. The method employs slipped stiches on both pieces to be joined or live stitches. The graphic here: http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/corrections/knithits.asp gives an idea of how it is done. It will be much more elastic than picked up stitches. I wish I could find a tutorial on-line. I'll keep looking.

9/06/2006 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a pair of Addis that dented for no apparent reason and I mailed them to the manufacturer and they sent me a new pair. Can't hurt to contact them about it!

9/06/2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger Hooney said...

My US1 addis went out of shape when I was working on my first pair of socks. I just bent it back and kept knitting. I wonder how much abuse can the needles take before it break. Hope Skacel have the same policy as Lantern moon.

9/06/2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Sorry to hear about Hiawatha. I hope your fall back project behaves itself.

9/06/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

I've found that almost all my knitting problems are solved if I throw the offending project into a corner and ignore it for a few days. Your subconscious knitting mind can work on the problem without too much frustration.

Your fair isle is looking lovely - I went on a frogging adventure and ripped mine back to before the armholes (potential pillow case?) and started making socks out of the yarn. I'm either going to be doing a second version of the Crichton cardigan for your KAL, or figuring out a modification for the Snow Sky sweater. I'll post something more definite soon for the update.

9/06/2006 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to always bend my needles - a trait I've inherited from my mother, although she bends cheap aluminum, and I'm bending Clovers and Addis. And Brittanys. What can I say? I have strong hands.

It doesn't look good, but it doesn't affect the knitting, so I don't let it bother me.

9/08/2006 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a bent Addi before. You need a needle that can stand up to your superhuman strenght! Ooh, I wonder if I should start a line of titanium needles. That would be cool.

I have been taking notes and am ready for the final exam at any time.

9/10/2006 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Skacel Addi Turbo Knitting Needles, Crochet Hooks and Tools. The Fast Needle. Lifetime Guarantee. Be sure to save your packaging. Skacel Addi Turbo will only honor this guarantee for needles that include the original packaging. Be sure you have the "real thing". Packaging must be written in English and state Addi Turbo.*

One of the many reasons I love Addi Turbos...

10/25/2006 2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home