Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"You have won second prize in a beauty contest - collect $10"

fair collage


In actuality, I won $7 (combined). I have to admit, I'm a spoiled brat with the praise for my knitting from you guys, and am just a bit disappointed that neither of the items took first place. I didn't get to go to the fair, so I have no idea what won first place in the sweater or mittens/gloves/hats categories. The items weren't returned with scorecards or comments of any kind, so I'll never know what the judges did and didn't like about them. Oh, well. I think I'll live. ;-) (And maybe use my earnings to buy the new Vogue Knitting, with all the pretty sock patterns. Which I can't submit to the fair next year, because they don't have a sock category.)

I am very proud of my little ribbons, and will probably leave them on Ingeborg and the mittens until it's wool wearing season again. I'm particularly pleased that they're not generic ribbons, but specific for the event. The state seal is very spiffy.


I haven't been getting much knitting done lately. I was hoping to finish the second Hedera sock this weekend, but the weather was actually nice, and I was able to do things other than plant myself with my ipod and knitting in the air conditioned room. I'm not going to complain about that one bit. I did fix and change the blog template. I was getting tired of the green, and noticed a lot more people using that generic Blogger template than before. I figured that if I were going to have the same generic Blogger template as other knitters, it may as well be a truly generic black and white template. No bells and whistles, and only actual blog content to catch the eye.

Well, that's it for today. I have a lot of knitting to do before I'll have enough material for my next post, so if you're impatient, do your best to send heat and rain my way. I'll be spending this week trying to figure out if my brilliant idea for the 6th Amazing Lace challenge is physically possible (it probably isn't, but I'll try anyway), and hoping that I finally hear back about my submission to Debbie Stoller's new book. Oh fer excitement!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sonya said...

I can't quite imagine the projects that would place higher than Ingeborg and the FI mittens. Both of which I've ordered yarn for to tackle in the fall. Thanks for the inspiration.

8/08/2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

It's too bad you didn't get a written judgement. I'm really surprised that Ingeborg took third!

I'm entering some knit items for the first time this year. I'm not very hopeful, because our local fair has a very poor set of knitting categories. But how are they ever to improve, or even want to improve, if we knitters don't get invovled?

8/08/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Wow, your entries are just incredible... I am really surprised at "not first"! I'm glad they placed though and you have some recognition at the beauty of your work.

8/08/2006 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's probably best you didn't see the first-place items -- they were probably gawdawful ponchos or something. In seriousness, it's hard to imagine something being more worthy of first place than your lovely items, but congratulations on your honors nonetheless.

8/08/2006 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really hard to believe anything could have been better -- I so-o-o covet that sweater, and, while I'm not much for wearing mittens, I would display those as art in my house (hey, not a bad idea and a really fun knit -- off to the LYS!) Oh, yeah, what's up with no judging feedback? Never heard of such a thing.

8/08/2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I can't imagine what could have been better than Ingeborg and the mittens. Probably the judge's wife's submission. A scorecard or comments would have been nice.

It's so funny to read in your blog "I haven't been getting much knitting done lately"! You're amazing.

8/08/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger profbookwurmknits said...

cannot believe you did not place first
amazing knitting
a true inspiration
the ribbons are beautiful
congratulations

8/08/2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I can't imagine they didn't take first, either. But congrats on your ribbons!

8/08/2006 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the same thing happen to me. I knitted a really intricate Fair Isle and got 2nd or third place. The first prize was taken by someone who apparently lives only to knit items to be entered in every single category and has been entering the Maryland State Fair for years. Her entry was very plain sockinette knit, with a weird color combination. Someone told me that she's been winning ribbons for years and apparently is on good terms with judge(s). I have photos somewhere to jog my memory, but I don't particularly feel like looking for it now. Needless to say, I haven't entered since then.

8/10/2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, if those didn't take first I'm really not expecting anything from my little entry to the fair!

8/11/2006 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home