Wednesday, June 21, 2006

SFCKAL weeks 18 and 19; Bristow sleeve

Very short SFCKAL update this week: TJ talks about a bunch of things, including steek cutting, and what pattern to knit on the sleeves.

I'm itching to work on my sweater again, but I will probably try to finish Bristow first. (At least the knitting, if not the seaming and finishing.) I'm not sure yet what to do about needle size for the VS sleeves. I used an in-between size (Addi turbos) for the body - between a 1 and a 2. I don't have that size DPNs (and can't get them locally), so what do I do for the sleeves? I have to choose between a 1 and a 2, or perhaps convince myself to buy a second Addi Turbo and use the 2 circ method. I haven't loved the 2 circ method in the past, but using flexible needles like that may make it easier to do the inside-out knitting thing on this sweater. I've been concerned about it because the sleeves are knit attached to the body, which makes everything more complicated. Is it worth the needle investment? I'll sleep on it.

While I haven't been working on Vertical Stripes, I have been busy finishing the first Bristow sleeve. Here's an artsy shot of it, because otherwise it would be the same boring thing all over again. Except in a slightly different shape and size:

Bristow sleeve 1


I ended up making one more alteration to the sleeve, in addition to what I mentioned in the last post. I did one fewer increase than the pattern calls for, and then cast off only 5 stitches (instead of 6) on each side at the beginning of the cap shaping. The sleeve was long and wide enough, and I know I can fudge matching up those cast off edges when I sew the sleeve in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new Knitpicks needles claim their size 1 are 2.5 mm - maybe they'd be an option?

6/21/2006 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have a 16" 2.5mm Addi Turbo. If you want to borrow it I can mail it to you and you can mail it back when you're done. If you want to do the 2 circ method I can also loan you a longer Addi.

I trust ya to return them, and I don't foresee myself needing either in the next month or two.

6/21/2006 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home