Tuesday, April 18, 2006

SLEEVE!

Ingeborg Sleeve 1 - April 18, 2006


Can you tell I haven't blocked it yet? ;-) I'll probably wait until both are done, and block them at the same time.

So what do I do next? I've got some Retro Ribs on the needles for A, but should either cast on for the second Ingeborg sleeve or for a bag.

My LYS is having a bag contest, and I've been designing (in my head) a worthy submission. I'm pretty limited in yarn choice, as the yarn has to come from or be available at the store, and I'm not going to buy anything. I'm going to use my two 85% complete balls of Patons Classic Merino to make a small colorwork bag. I don't want to do anything felted because I don't know if I have enough yarn, and I certainly don't have enough to swatch properly to plan post-felting size. I think my bag will use one of the Komi stitch patterns from the Knitting Marvelous Mittens book (probably altered to work across more stitches), and will be knit at a very tight gauge, maybe on size 3 DPNs. I'll make it fairly small, to hold keys and a wallet, or maybe to be a sock in progress tote. I think I'm going to start with a provisional cast on (and use a 3 needle bindoff to close it up later), knit the bag with little or no shaping, with 2 faux-seams on the side (to hide jogs), and use an icord bindoff at the top. I also plan to make icord handles, perhaps starting the icord bindoff on opposite ends, and having each half of that transition into a separate handle, with the handles crossing at the top and attaching at the other side. Details may change as I go, and I might trade yarn with a friend for a contrast color yarn for the icord edging and handles.

But that bag isn't due until the end of May, so I should probably get going on the second Ingeborg sleeve. I took careful notes on increase frequency, so it should be a relatively stress free process.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for starting the second sleeve. I want so much to knit Ingeborg. . .soon. Your little bag sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see it.

4/18/2006 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the second sleeve (ha ha). And your bag sounds great. Would you add a lining also?

- MJ

4/18/2006 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Your plans for the little bag sound really nice. I can't wait to see its progress!

4/23/2006 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home