Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Sweaters From Camp KAL - Weeks 3 and 4 update

The update is back! I'm really excited to get this up, because there is so much to report. You guys are so creative, and so patient with your sometimes problematic projects. I'm really impressed.

  • Jayne was having some problems with her Snow Sky sweater, but was persevering, anyway. Eventually, she decided that she wasn't happy with the colors, and is starting again, with a darker background color, for more contrast. (A painful decision to rip out all that knitting, but it will be worth it in the end!)
  • After an adventure in premature steek cutting, due to a twisted cast on, Becki's Crichton cardigan is going strong. She is creating her own colorway, and it will be fun to see how that develops. (I think it looks great so far. )
  • Natalie's Above the Treeline sweater is tiny (so far), but gorgeous. I think that sweater may be the biggest surprise of the knitalong for me. I didn't think much of the pattern from the photos in the book, but the colors in Natalie's photos are so gorgeous. She's also learned how to knit two handed fair isle, which has sped up her progress. Yay!
  • Bobby wins the prize for the most impressive do-over. He didn't like how the Celtic Raglan was turning out, so he's dying the yarn, and knitting the Afghanistan Rug Jacket instead. A very ambitious project. I can't wait to see the rest of the hand dyed colors.
  • Helen reports that she's about three inches into Seaweed for Sheryl, using a colorway her husband helped her choose. She doesn't have photos of it yet, but check out her blog for photos of another colorwork project she's finishing up. (And she's planning to knit Henry VIII, too. I can't wait to see that!)
  • Tipper has received her replacement yarn, and is almost done with a full pattern repeat on Crichton. I love the colors. (And uff da, indeed. I lived in MN for 5 years, and love that phrase. Especially since I've heard people saying it earnestly, and not as a joke.)
  • Linda's Northwest Sunset vest is looking great, about a pattern repeat in. And kudos on the new mac! I'm so jealous of both you and Natalie, with your shiny new computers. :-)
  • Anne's Shirt Tail fair isle looks gorgeous, and has a finished hem! She has a closeup of the colorwork here, along with a list of lessons she's learned so far by knitting this project. Definitely worth a read.
  • Terri had gauge problems with her Northwest Sunset vest. So she ripped it out, and is knitting the next larger size. She's a quick knitter, and you wouldn't guess that she started over based on the progress she's made. Great job!
  • Lola's vest is growing, even though she had to rip out a little bit because she used the wrong color. (I find it handy to put the skeins in sandwich baggies, with color labels included, so I don't have to rely on my eyes to pick them out.) The shaping on this one is really interesting, and it's nice to see it in progress.
  • Donna W. is swatching! Unfortunately, I don't know what sweater she's knitting, and can't tell yet from her swatch. So please let us know, and I'll update your info in the sidebar. (By the way, I spit splice now with spit, but don't actively spit on my yarn. I stick it in my mouth. A lot less gross that spewing gobs of saliva onto my sweater, though I admit it's still a bit icky compared to just using a glass of water.)
  • Junieann posted photos of her Sunset vest progress. She added a vent in the back, and played around with the motifs to fit it in. I like the alteration, and it's worth a look!
  • Kilsharion had a problem with stitch count, and is starting over. I know this has been a frustrating project so far, but imagine how good it will feel once everything is in place, and it's going right. You can do it!
  • Helen B. doesn't have KAL progress to report yet, but look at the photos of crocheting a steek for the Oregon vest.
  • Sydney's Shirt Tail fairisle is looking beautiful, even if it laughs at her and refuses to grow. She said she might try doing the hem this past weekend. I hope it went well!
  • TJ looks like she's about a pattern repeat in on her Vertical Stripes cardigan. I love the colors! (By the way, the permalink thing doesn't seem to be working correctly on your blog. I linked to the main blog page here, but couldn't get a link to that specific post.)
As for me, the sweater is a few rows longer than it was when I posted this weekend. My most exciting new development is that I started my second ball of the main cream color. I'm only about 8" in, and am wondering if I miscalculated how many skeins of that I'd need. But I'm not going to start worrying, yet, as I have better things to fret about. I'll try to have an update photo later this week, or maybe early next week.

I hope to have a regular KAL update next Wednesday, instead of this business of having to miss a week, and then doing it a day early the next week. Please let me know if you're not on the list, and I'll add you, so you can be included in updates.

4 Comments:

Blogger Becki said...

Thank you for doing this! I hope your life drama is clearing up, or will clear up soon.

I, too, have started my 2nd ball of cream...I think a gross miscalculation occurred for me. Luckily easily fixed, I just have to get the money together.

3/07/2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger trainlady said...

Donna W

What Becki said. All these beautiful sweaters developing are keeping me motivated while I figure out what I'm doing.

I hope that I'm making a Pullover with Vertical Stripes in the original colorway (which includes lots of my favorites), but sometimes I wonder.

Donna W.

3/07/2006 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh--the dangers of hand-coding. Fixed now, though that picture will be on the front page for a while, so you don't have to change anything.

3/08/2006 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl, this is fun. I am the world's slowest knitter. I love the way the rest of the gang is going great guns.

Sorry you have been under the weather and me too.

Glad you are back

3/10/2006 2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home