Monday, January 23, 2006

Ingeborg (2 repeats); Komi sock start

Thanks for all the nice Ingeborg comments! All those kind words made her swell up to two whole pattern repeats:

Ingeborg, January 22, 2006


Okay, enough anthropomorphizing of the wool products. Yup, it's at 2 pattern repeats. A total of 10" from the cuff fold.

Yesterday I temporarily set Ingeborg aside so I could start the Komi socks. (Remember this swatch?) I did some brief swatching with the actual yarn I'm using (Lanett 100% merino superwash - very similar to Dale Baby Ull), got about 10 stitches per inch on size 0 needles, and decided to just drop down to size 000 for the actual socks. They're supposed to be 11 stitches per inch, and I'd not complain if they were a tiny bit tighter. It took me an entire football game to do the 2x2 ribbed 1" cuff. (Okay, there was some ingestion of food during that time, too. But I was mostly knitting.) It's a nice sturdy cuff because of the tightness of the knit, and the few rows of colorwork I have look great. I'll have a picture tomorrow, when there's more to show. I'm so excited about these socks, even if the needles are going to kill my hands. I must search for sturdier and less slippery 000 DPNs, if such a thing exists.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt you find any non-slippery 000s! It will get easier when you have more sock to hold as you work.

Are you getting any pilling on your Ingeborg with NatureSpun Sport?

1/23/2006 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ingeborg's looking great! And it's knitting up so quickly. Can't wait to see the finished product, as well as the socks. I love the colorwork pattern you're using. Where does it come from?

1/23/2006 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks amazing! It looks so meticulously done -- even and errorfree. I shudder to think what mine would look like -- not like that!

1/23/2006 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ingeborg looks beautiful! I'm very tempted to take the black and white Naturespun I got for a different sweater (Faroe from Starmore's Fisherman's Sweaters) and use it for Ingeborg, instead. Not that I have time for it right now...but someday.

1/23/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

Two questions -

First, how long is it taking you to get through a pattern repeat on the Ingeborg? You are really flying!

Secondly, please say that you found your tiny needles online. If you did, could I please have the address? I'm desperate for something smaller than US 0, but can't find them in any of my local stores. If you didn't find them online, would you mind telling me the brand, so I could try searching with that? Thanks!

1/23/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

More nice compliments on Ingeborg, very beautiful!

I have the opposite problem and I'm trying to find slippery dpns. I have crystal palace bamboo 1's and they just feel so sticky. I'll have to try them for stranding.

1/23/2006 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Sweaters from Camp book. I'm going to try to find it this weekend because there are a couple of things I want to make from it. Well, more than a couple!

Great progress on Inge, Rebekkah!

- MJ

1/25/2006 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had good luck with Skacel steel needles for the teeny sizes. My 000s are a little bent (after a sock and the beginning of its mate, and a lot of banging around in my knitting bag), but it's hard to tell unless I line them up and roll them between my palms. They're nowhere near as bad off as the blue needles (aluminum?) in your picture up top.

--Kim

1/27/2006 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home