Saturday, November 26, 2005

Northwest Sunset Fair Isle is DONE.

The vest is done! Here are gobs of photos (click to make bigger):

NSFI done (flat)

NSFI done (modeled)

NSFI - pattern closeup

NSFI - wrong side closeup

NSFI button band


Pattern: Northwest Sunset Fair Isle Vest
Designer: Betts Lampers
Source: Sweaters From Camp
Yarn: Jamieson & Smith jumper weight shetland (using colors specified in pattern)

changes to pattern: Not much. I picked up more stitches than recommended for the button band (one per row), but knit at a tighter gauge, so it all turned out well in the end. Also, I used a simpler method for the buttonholes - cast off 6 (slipping instead of knitting), then cast on 6 in alternating colors, using the German Twisted method. Also, I didn't sew or crochet the steeks before cutting.

thoughts: This is the project that taught me how to really do fair isle. I started it during the summer, and let the finishing work wait until this month. I figured out a fair isle technique that works for me, and through all that experimentation ended up with a finished product that isn't too wonky, and is of fairly even gauge. A miracle! And if you want more thoughts, read through the archives. There are plenty down there.

Oh, and for the record, I didn't run out of any colors, like I thought I would. I feel so foolish for letting that worry me, now.

10 Comments:

Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Looks wonderful - congrats on finishing!

11/26/2005 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so stunning. Your knitting is beautiful. I've been reading your blog and today I actually purchased Sweaters From Camp so I can try a vest also. Thanks for being an inspiration!

11/26/2005 5:50 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Congrats! What beautiful colors to brighten up the upcoming winter season.

11/26/2005 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater! The colors and your knitting are wonderful! Sweaters from Camp has been on my list for a long time. You are my inspiration for moving it up the list for my next book binge.
Congratulations!

11/26/2005 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. A really beautiful piece of knitting. I bet it makes you smile to wear it.
Fab !

11/28/2005 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! Your stranding is really something, too. I love the buttons.

- MJ

11/29/2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

WOW! That's absolutely beautiful. I've been looking for a stranded colorwork vest and I may horn in on your parade. It's gorgeous. You did a beautiful job.

11/30/2005 7:41 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

wow. you are an amazing fair isle knitter. i've long admired your stuff on flickr...now just linked to you through the fair isle KAL that mj is hosting. i'm not surprised to see you're involved in that too--and already done with your project! keep the good stuff coming!

12/02/2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger Janette said...

Absolutely beautiful!

12/02/2005 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, Your Northwest Sunset looks smashing. And the colors.......WAUW!

1/14/2006 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home