Thursday, November 17, 2005

I feel second armhole syndrome coming on.

Ever wake up and have no motivation to do anything? I'm having one of those days. I did manage to take a photo, but folks, I'm feeling really lazy. I have this backlog of things I want to post about, and just am not going to get to it today.



I know this isn't the best photo, as the direct light is too much. But I ended up keeping this one because it's one of the few (only?) pictures of the vest that proves that the main color is indeed a dark green, and not black. As you can see, I finished the first armhole edging. It curls a little bit, but I think blocking will take care of it.

My calculations of yarn amounts were all over the math. (<-- I'm going to keep that typo.) According to my $7 kitchen scale, here are the amounts of each color used for each round. Prepare to laugh:
  • dark green - 1.67 g. (includes round of picked up stitches and bindoff edge, which may be different than regular rounds)
  • pumpkin - 2 g.
  • Apricot - 1.5 g.
  • Coral - 0 g? (I swear the numbers I have written down for before and after knitting two round with this color are both 11 g. It weighs about 11 g. now, after multiple retries, so the pre-knitting weight must be off.)
  • Framboise - .75 - 1 g.
  • Bright Lilac - 0-1 g.
I guess it's possible that my gauge was changing over time, but I really don't think it was. Maybe I'll have a better and more accurate measure after I finish the second armhole. Either that or I'll be more confused. Depending on how things go, it may be possible that I won't run out of any colors for the main button band and edging. It would be close, though. I was pleasantly surprised to see that that will only be about 2.5 as many stitches as on one armhole edging. (Less, in fact.) Not as bad as I thought.

Thanks for all the comments. I can take exactly zero credit for the colors. I just used exactly what the pattern said. You can thank Betts Lampers for the colorway, as well as Jamieson & Smith for producing the colors she chose from. Oh, and the pattern is the Northwest Sunset Fair Isle Vest, from Sweaters From Camp, for those who asked. My next sweater from the book will be the one featured on the cover, also designed by Betts Lampers. You can see a picture of it by clicking here. That's slated for next Spring, I think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm starting to fall in love with colors more and more. I've always been a textural knitter--cables, moss, lace--but colors also have their own magic. Betts Lampers' design is gorgeous!

- MJ

11/21/2005 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly lovely. I've got this book, too, but I've yet to knit any of the items from there. Someday . . .

11/21/2005 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home