Wednesday, November 16, 2005

the fair isle vest lives again!

So vest armhole edgings in moss stitch take longer than I anticipated. I'm about halfway through the first one. Lookie!



My fair isle has definitely improved since this summer, but I still think the vest looks okay. It feels really good to be working on it again. As is typical of me, I'm being rather anal about some things. I'm weighing each color before and after it gets used for the armhole, so I can figure out how much it takes to do an armhole. So far, my best guess is that it takes about 2 grams of contrast color per round, which is actually a bit more than I expected. Then again, I'm not sure if I can trust my scale, as one color weighed more after I used it than before the first time I tried weighing it. I eventually jiggled the scale into submission, but I don't completely trust it for such small weight differences. I'll eventually have to get a fancy electric one, if I want to continue being this anal.

Assuming I don't run out of any of the colors I thought I had enough of (which I'm now paranoid about), I think I figured out a solution to the running out of yarn problem. There is one shade of purple that isn't used at all on the edging and button band. It's not very heavily used in the vest body itself, so I have almost a full skein of it. I think I'm just going to use that in place of the color that won't last past the armholes. Clever, eh? Assuming nothing else runs out, this means I should be done with the vest next week, which is awesome.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
your fair isle is really wonderful. I love the colors so much and the pattern ist great.
I'm looking forward to see the final result.
greetings from Germany
Elke

11/16/2005 10:39 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Oooh, so pretty. And I mean pretty as in the shiny kind of way :D Love the colors and pattern too!

11/16/2005 12:45 PM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Very pretty. Wahoo for almost being done!

11/16/2005 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. What pattern and yarn are you using? I can't wait to see the finished product.

11/16/2005 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone; your colors are beautiful. I wouldn't have thought to weigh the yarn to gauge how much I needed, that's a handy thing to know.

- MJ

11/16/2005 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home