Friday, October 07, 2005

mitten guts

The thumb is done, and I've started to weave in ends.

The whole weaving in ends thing is going to take longer than I thought. Jessimuhka suggested a photo of all of the ends to weave in, so here it is:





Sorry for the slight fuzziness, but I guess you get the point. Yesterday A. said it looked like a furry fish. Or maybe a fish with a beard. I've been in a snot induced stupor for a few days, so I can't count on myself to remember anything correctly.

Maybe I'll finish this weekend. I'm working from the cuff up, and am up to the first row of orange on the hand. I'm sick sick sick, and didn't even go to the knitting group last night. But I think I'm finally starting to feel better.

With all of these ends, I've been thinking about using spit splicing for the second mitten. Why didn't I use it for the first? I guess I thought it would be too much trouble, and I was concerned about color changes that were somewhat abrupt. There's no steek in which to hide color change blips, and unlike a sweater, a few stitches of twisted or incorrect background color is a significant percentage of a row. I think I'm going to compromise on the second mitten and only spit splice for the color changes that are more subtle. There are two very similar reds, a brown and tan that are fairly similar, and I think I can get away with spit splicing the blue/green transitions. The others I'll still leave hanging ends on. I think another reason I decided not to spit splice the first mitten was because it decreases portability (I use water, not spit), but I've seen reality, and this project is not portable even without spit splicing.

2 Comments:

Blogger wittyknits said...

Weaving in ends is absolutely my least favorite part of knitting, so that photo is downright frightening to me!

Have you ever tried weaving in ends as you go a la Kaffe Fassett? I learned how to do it earlier this year, and I have used it a lot for colorwork and for just joining a second ball in solid color knitting. I'm planning on using the technique when I get to the intarsia parts for my sweater for the Colors of Autumn KAL, so I'll post some technique photos once I do that.

10/07/2005 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the weave-in-as-you-go method, although I picked it up from a stripey Berroco pattern. It's actually very easy once you get the hang of it; if you need a tutorial, I'm sure I can dig one up for ya.

10/07/2005 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home