Tuesday, October 18, 2005

2 blocking mittens, aah ha ha ha ha!

Blocking! Blocking blocking blocking!


(Sorry for the darkness. No sun today, and I was determined to not use a flash.)


I finished up the second mitten last night, inclusing the weaving in of all ends. As you can see, they're not exactly the same size. I think the right mitten is a tad bigger. Let's make believe this was a design consideration. Nobody is perfectly symmetrical, and I'm fairly sure my right hand is a tiny bit bigger than my left hand. (Also, let's not forget that this may not be the end of the blocking saga. Time will tell.)

The first mitten is still noticeably damp. Darn. I'll try to hold out, and unpin them tomorrow morning.

I was happy that I knitted in the ends on the cuff of the second mitten. Yeah, it would have been neater if I spit spliced those, too. But at least weaving was better than nothing. I was all pessimistic about whether I'd finish weaving in ends last night, but then I remembered that I could just take the scissors to the cuff ends, which felt awesome. Then I was just left with a few ends at the top of the mitten and the thumb ends to weave in. I ended up knotting the ends for the thumb as I was knitting. When I was doing the finishing work, I untied and retied the knots so the yarn lay flat and smooth, then wove in those ends.

As you can see, I also started Samus. I'm halfway through the first pattern repeat for the hem. That knits up more quickly than I anticipated. I guess only having 26 stitches per row helps a lot. I really enjoy working with the yarn (Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool), but I wish the cables were a bit crisper. It will do. I've had this yarn for almost a year, and I need to do something with it.

Hopefully there will be official finished mitten pictures tomorrow, as well as a photo of the super (not-so)secret weirdo mistake that is only visible from the inside. If not that, perhaps photos of me trying to re-block. Keep your fingers crossed that this blocking will work well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home