Thursday, September 08, 2005

New Knitty!

Impending cold weather really does bring out the best in knitting designers. I was extremely impressed with the newest issue of Knitty. I'm not going to go over every design, but here is a roundup of some of them. (I know I'm not the only person in knitblog land doing this, and I may be the only person interested in what I have to say about the designs. But it's my blog, and if nothing else, it's fun and will be a good reference for me.)

  • Samus is very similar to another sweater pattern that has become popular over the past week or two, but I like this one better. The overall shape is nicer, and more flattering, in my opinion. I really dig the orange, too. I know I'm not a big Lamb's Pride fan, but this may be the right project for that purple Elann Peruvian Highland Wool I have sitting around. Too bad it's purple, not orange, because this is the second orange sweater I've fallen for in the past year or so. Orange my be in my future. This design also gets props for using a really nice type of cable chart. It's iconic! Yay!
  • Cinxia is very cute, and I think it would look great on me. Too bad I have no patience for knitting through the back loop. It's nice to see something with a different design element, even if it's not something I'd want to do with my own hands.
  • I love Josephine, too. How does a a free pattern in an online magazine do what IK failed to really do in its last issue - present a long knitted jacket that looks good and comfortable? It does remind me of some cheesy 70s patterns I've seen, but this one works. Too bad, as Lauren pointed out, us petite folks may just be devoured by this coat. It would overwhelm me, given my height and body type. Too bad. :-(
  • It's not my personal style at all, but I like Revolution a lot. One change I'd make is to maybe apply icord edging to the bottom edge, and to the split edge on the back. It looks a bit unfinished and curly at those points, but I think it would be greatly improved with something like an icord edging.
  • Leaves in Relief is also wonderful. The sweater and the photos remind me so much of Carleton. The sweater itself because it was at Carleton that I really started to play around with textured patterns like that, although in swatches, not on sweaters. Also, Ariel just looks like someone I might have been friends with there. The poses, the hair - so Carleton. Can I rename this the Carleton sweater? If I make it, I think I'll go with different sleeves. I really like the sleeves on one the guy is wearing in this article, but I'm not sure if those would look good on me or not. Maybe just plain sleeves, or plain with one or two leaves somewhere. Also, I can't wait to read that article.
  • I like the patterning on Ella up close, but am not so big on the object as a whole, from a wider view. Maybe it's the yarn?
  • Jessimuhka comes through with gorgeous socks. They look great in solid (maybe for my orange Kroy?), but I really need to get my hands on some Koigu...
  • I still haven't been hit with an urge to knit a teddy bear, but I still think Bubby's pose in the top picture is hilarious.
  • Very cute hat, very weird timing.

It's very likely that I'll knit Samus and Jessica's socks. I might knit Leaves in Relief one day, too, but as I said, there are some tweaks I'll think of making first. Such a good issue of Knitty!

As for my own knitting, I got a bunch more done on the Rogue hood while watching Dead Man Walking last night. I had to stop knitting towards the end, though. I'm guessing the hood will be done some time this weekend, so more exciting pictures when I get there.


edit: Oh, and this picture makes me happy beyond belief.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really pondering Samus, but maybe instead of the zipper I could do the silver clasps like in Norwegian sweaters.

But I'm also wary about making yet another sweater that I might never wear (I've been having issues with making sweaters that don't quite fit as I'd expected)

9/08/2005 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home